You are Here:
308 VS 30-06

Author (Read 283 times)

308 VS 30-06
« on: September 11, 2018, 12:07:13 PM »

Hammershell

• Target Painter
  • FNG
I am fairly new to the long range shooting sport.  I am enjoying it very much.  My question is - there seems to be quite a few long range 308 rifles used but I have not seen any 30-06 ?   What are the reasons for this ?   Thanks in advance for your answers.

Re: 308 VS 30-06
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 08:13:21 PM »

fastreb

• Target Painter
  • FNG
I'll give you the answer that I got when I've asked the question of knowledgeable people before. The .30-06 was used for a very long time as a precision rifle, especially by the military. The round itself is inherently accurate, and the military already using it meant they tried to make what they had better. I once knew a man who had been in the military and worked as an armorer for a very long time. He even gave me the information about some reloads that match shooters had used for that cartridge, along with about 1,000 172gr. match bullets.

From my understanding from him and others, this is how the switch came about. The military moved to the .308/7.62 family for the M-14 and M-60. That round was also an accurate one. It could be loaded and shot through a SA receiver, meaning it was a little bit more rigid than a LA receiver was. Since most military snipers didn't engage targets out past 1,000 yards, the .308 would get the job done just as good as the .30-06, which meant the military saved a little bit of money on the deal too.

Hence, the switch.