You are Here:
BEGINNER ADVICE PLEASE

Author (Read 397 times)

BEGINNER ADVICE PLEASE
« on: March 24, 2018, 11:34:08 PM »

JET0316

• Target Painter
  • FNG
So I am brand new and wanting to start shooting long range. I know almost nothing to be honest. Where can I find articles or something to learn a little. If you have advice on what rifle? Caliber? Scope? Any info would be appreciated.... Thanks

Re: BEGINNER ADVICE PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 11:35:40 PM »

Ranger

• Target Painter
  • FNG
Hi Jet,
     I will throw my opinion out there...if you are new to this type of shooting, my first recommendation would be to enjoy yourself and just get out and shoot as much as you can.
I don't know you or your budget so bear with me...unless you plan on getting super competitive right out of the gates, I would suggest picking up a fairly inexpensive rifle in a chambering that is easy to find ammo for that won't break the bank.  Many may disagree with me and say "you get what you pay for" or the old saying "buy once,cry once" meaning spend alot so that you needn't have to buy again.
I understand that thinking but if you are new to it, just pick up something decent and wear it out practicing.
Spending a year just burning ammo through a rifle will pay off dividends vs having a rifle you can only afford to shoot once a month and fear burning a barrel out of just trying to find a load it likes.  Then, when its time to get a new rig, you will know what you liked, things you didn't like, and have many practice shots under your belt.
It's probably pretty cool to show up at the range and have a handful of people saying " oooo, look at his/her setup, i got to get me one of those!!"  But before you know it, something new comes along and you can go broke trying to chase the latest and greatest gear.
Back to the beginning....just hit the range as much as you can and enjoy it!
Best regards,
Ranger