You are Here:
RPR 6.5 Creedmoor reloading newbi - Question about OACL ?????

Author (Read 422 times)

GTB6.5CREEDMOOR

• Target Painter
  • FNG
Hello everyone, I am a newbi reloader, I have been reloading for about a year sticking strictly to stats from the books. I have had good success with the gun and the reloads. I decided I finally had to start measuring OACL using a OAL gauge and modified case. My set up is:

Ruger Precision 6.5 creedmoor

I measured with the following and got very similar number to the book:

Hornady Brass
Hornady V-Max 95g bullet
going to use RL15 at 39gr to start
measure with gauge and modified case (6x average) total -2.746" so used 2.716" as my COAL to start

from Hornady Handbook the tested with 2.710" SO MY NUMBER THERE WAS VERY SIMILAR AND I LEARNED TO USE THE GUAGE ETC. I also use a comparator tool but those numbers are not so relevant for this discussion.

Then I measured for Nosler Custom Competition HPBT 140g and while the book says they tested with 2.775" and the SAAMI max is 2.825" I keep measuring 2.883" over and over at the rifling. Does anyone know what is going on? I don't think I am measuring wrong - that is why I gave the data above regarding the Hornady bullets?
Thanks for any help or explanation.

ANSWER: Re: RPR 6.5 Creedmoor reloading newbi - Question about OACL ?????
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 06:08:19 PM »

GTB6.5CREEDMOOR

• Target Painter
  • FNG
So I talked to a very very helpful rep from Nosler (Mike) who answered my question! He explained to me that a lot of 6.5 creedmoor guys using these bullets will actually look for a good "jump" and 60 thousands is probably what I am looking for so my 2.883 measurement fits with what they know. The test the bullets at 2.805 so my using 2.883-0.60 = 2.823 is only 20 thousands off the generic number they give. I am really glad I contacted them - great customer service! Thanks Mike.