You are Here:
Jim See PRS Training

Author (Read 1920 times)

Jim See PRS Training
« on: August 21, 2016, 09:45:48 AM »

JBomkamp

• Target Painter
  • FNG
I had the opportunity to attend one of Jim See's PRS training classes this past weekend.  To give a little background on myself, I have been shooting long distance rifle since approx. 2005. My addiction to shooting started on a 1000 yard F class style league shooting weekly.  About 3 years ago I started shooting small local PRS style matches. Last year, I shot my first major PRS competition and this year I've shot three PRS matches so far this this year.

I feel I should clarify and state....I am usually quite hesitant to attend professional training, I've attended some training in the past and I've walked away feeling like everything I did during that training is like a practice session.  I understand during training there are people with varying backgrounds and experience levels...so sometimes classes need to account for this.  It can be a tough pill to swallow when you spend hundreds of dollars in fees and expenses to attend training and walk away feeling like that money could have been spent better elsewhere. 

With that being said, from the start of Jim's class I knew this was different...Jim was cordial and as he presented his class structure, he outlined his intentions with training and never hesitated to answer our questions.  His answers to questions were deliberate and concise and you could tell he didn't need to beat around the bush to answer a question.  Simply, he knew his shit.  Our group was an advanced one, as most of the students were accomplished PRS competitors, so the initial classroom portion of the training went quickly...but I can honestly say I walked away from the classroom portion of the training with a heightened level of understanding on advanced ballistics.

Next, we proceeded to start positional shooting training. We had a multitude of different barricades for use, which including popular VTAC style barricades, tank traps, barrels, roof tops, tires and even some Luckett sticks. Jim used every piece of equipment to detail his strategies on using the equipment to squeeze the most stable shooting position as possible.  A braced elbow here, pinch your finger here, wedge this here. Over and over again, Jim delivered the message.  As the day progressed, you could see confidence building, everyone was hitting extremely small targets at distances we would have previously scoffed at.

Needless to say, everyone walked away "with their moneys worth".  I didn't hear a single negative comment. Very few times in life, it seems we walk away from an event and we are completely happy with our investment and outcome. This is one of the few times I've felt like "I should have paid him double"! 

Jim See delivered the goods!

Re: Jim See PRS Training
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 06:55:49 PM »

malsa82

• Target Painter
Very nice write up! First off, I would like to thank everyone involved for allowing me to take part in this awesome weekend of learning and shooting!

I was present at this same training and I must say, I really walked away with a lot. I have been shooting smaller, local precision rifle matches for about 4 years as well as CMP service rifle competition. I will be shooting my first PRS match this year at the GAP Grind.

Similarly to the OP, I knew Jim was a great shooter and reputable instructor but I didn't know exactly how much I would be able to take away. I had shot a few smaller matches with Jim this year and when given the opportunity to participate in this training, I jumped on it. I had read his impressive resume and knew he was knowledgable.

Jim's analytical approach to precision rifle shooting and the way he challenges the "status quo" and "established" shooting techniques really opened my eyes and totally changed the way I think about positional shooting, wind and the terrain I'm shooting in. I've always felt like I had the fundamentals down pretty well and I had certain things ingrained in my approach to shooting. Jim changed a lot of that and I really look forward to practicing and utilizing what I learned to improve my shooting! There were a lot of things I don't think I ever would have thought about, like how to effectively free recoil the rifle, shooting from Luckett Sticks and tons more off different barricades and positions.

One of my favorite quotes from the weekend that illustrates what I just mentioned was, "I don't care if I look stupid as long as I get more hits that you." If it looks stupid and works, then it's not stupid, right? I learned a ton of great things from the weekend and would not hesitate to recommend an Elite Accuracy class to any level of shooter.

Again, a big thank you to Jim See and the fine gents of the The Firm shooting team for including me!!