You are Here:
Heatstroke 2016

Author (Read 1224 times)

Heatstroke 2016
« on: July 25, 2016, 07:36:51 PM »

epracmetcon

• Target Painter
  • FNG
Well, this is probably a little late, but better late than never.  After a week of recuperating, I can finally sit down and type up an AAR of my experience at the Heatstroke 2016.

Friday.  We roll into town around 1:00ish and check into the hotel.  Get freshened up and meet up with a couple of guys that made it down the night before.  Grabbed our gear and headed out to the range which was about 35-40 minutes from where we were staying. 

Get to the range and check in.  Find out that squading was completely random and no requests were taken to be squaded together.  Doesn't really break my heart, I actually like getting squaded with guys I have never shot with before.  Getting to meet new shooters and make new friends is one of the things I REALLY enjoy about this sport.  We are all competing against each other, but by the end of the match, you've made new friends.  Get checked in and somehow Jared and myself get squaded up together.  Which was nice. 

We grabbed our rifles and gear and headed down to the zero range to obviously verify zero.  I was a little concerned here because I was going into the match with a new barrel that had roughly 80 rounds down it.  I also cleaned it before I came.  Took around 10-12 shots for the rifle to come back around.  I was happy with my zero.  Now over to shoot at some steel and verify data.  Now did I mention I was also going into this with very very little data on the bullet I was shooting?  I plugged in the velocity and bc into my AB Kestrel and got down on the line.  Went straight to 1000 yards to verify data.  Had to tweak the BC a little to get it where she needed to be, but the Sierra bullets were on point.  I was happy with the way the rifle shot.  It was getting hot, I was sweating and needed some rest.  So we trek on back to the hotel.  We had to be at the match at 0600.

Saturday.

Jared and myself start the day on stage 5.  The Surgeon rifles hold over hassle.  You shoot target 3 targets in this order e1, e2, e3, e2, e1 and then go to a 5 target plate rack.  All targets are within 560 yards.  You could not touch your elevation turret once the clock starts.  I dialed for the plate rack and held for the rest.  I missed the first couple to what I attributed as first stage jitters as there was no wind at this point in the morning.  Ended up with 5/10.  A meh performance for my first stage which is unusual, I usually come out swinging and dont normally get the jitters.  On to the next

Stage 6: USO Dueling tyl.  You shoot this TYL from large to small, alternating from 2 separate target stands at 363 and 445 yards.  Again, little to no wind.  Make good center impacts on the first 2 targets.  Move to the next to smallest target and sent the round, just off the left side.  Odd, there seemed to be no wind but alas, I hold a little wind.  Now the shot is almost .5 MIL more off the left side and this went on for several shots until I finally connected on the last round I had for the stage.  I thought this was odd and maybe something was loose, I ended up holding a little over a MIL to impact the target.  No one else had to hold anywhere near that for wind.  I got a little worried as I checked over the rifle to make sure everything was tight.  With dwindling confidence in my rifle, I move onto the next stage.  3/10.

Next stage of the day was the tank trap.  Engage one target from 5 different positions with 2 rounds each.  Ended up with 8/10.  Alas, my rifle seemed to be shooting ok.  Could it have been the new barrel?  A string of rounds that somehow, there was something off about?  Don't know.  The rifle shot very well the rest of the day for the most part, other than it speeding up a bit around mid day which I was expecting.  They had a vendor for lunch selling pulled pork sandwiches which were very good.  We ended up finishing up day 1 around 2:00pm.   I ended up shooting in the low 80s for points for the day.  The first couple of stages hurt me as I shot everything else pretty decent for the day. 

Sunday.  Again, had to be there at 0600.  We moved to the other side of the range and shot the second half of the match.  The wind was supposed to be a little trickier Sunday over Saturday.  We started shooting around 0630.  The wind was definitely more than it was on Saturday.  Started out on another dueling TYL.  Ended up with 5/10 on the first stage.   Given the wind, a little better start to the day. 

The first few stages I shot very well and the match seemed to start to flow pretty well, that is until the mover kept going down.  Caused a good bit of a bottleneck which was somewhat frustrating.   The rest of the day there seemed to be a bottle neck at most stages.  I think this hurt me a bit mentally as I wanted to shoot and move on to the next stage so we could get done at a half way decent time.  I volunteered to shoot first or be the wind bitch on more than a few stages.  I think I rushed myself a good bit because of this and it hurt me.  All of these stages had 3:00 minute par times.  I need to slow myself down at times.

Overall, Sunday was a bit frustrating between wind, getting held up on stages and taking way longer than it should have and having no lunch.  We were expecting to be done mid day so I did not pack anything other than some snacks for the day.  The guys on the front half were done shooting at 1:30 in the afternoon.  I shot my last shot at 5:30.  Head down to town for the awards ceremony and "lunch".

"Lunch" was very good, ribeyes, baked potatoes, and beans for everyone.   I was so hungry at this point, I was probably even a little hangry.  The food was pretty awesome.  Now we just wait around for scores which took a bit of time, but there were 170 or so shooters.  Ended up finishing 40th overall.  Wasn't super ecstatic with my performance for the weekend, but with going in with a fresh barrel and shooting a load with no data.  I was content.  Congrats to Jerry Karloff on the win.  It is well deserved.  Now for the 14 hour ride home. 

I want to thank BJ Bailey and Matt Clem for putting on a good match.  Also to all the sponsors, I would be here all night typing if I acknowledged them all individually, but can't thank them enough.  The prize table was awesome.  I know I gripped a bit about waiting around to shoot, but for the most part everything ran smooth.  The RO"s were PHENOMENAL, can't thank them enough.  With out em, we wouldn't be able to get out and do what we do.   Will definitely be back next year.

Re: Heatstroke 2016
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 08:50:08 PM »

malsa82

• Target Painter
Nice write up! Sounds like a fun match!

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 11:47:55 AM »

Raptor005

• Target Painter
  • Raptor
Good write-up!  If you ever figure out what happened with your rifle in stage 6, please share!

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 09:49:22 PM »

epracmetcon

• Target Painter
  • FNG
Good write-up!  If you ever figure out what happened with your rifle in stage 6, please share!

Thanks!  Honestly, I attributed to it being a new barrel.  Who really knows, it could have been me?  I don't think it was, but you never know.  It never pitched another shot the entire weekend.