You are Here:
Quickload Software.

Author (Read 3512 times)

Quickload Software.
« on: January 26, 2016, 05:30:44 PM »

M54

• Target Painter
  • FNG
Anyone have experience with Quickload software personally? I am wondering about your experience with it and what features you found useful, how accurate you have found the predictions, how extensive the library's are for powder and bullets. Good help files or instructions?

Re: Quickload Software.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 10:17:46 PM »

kevwil

• Target Painter
  • poor bastard
I bought a copy, expecting it to be the oracle of all ballistic and reloading data. Due to my use of odd calibers, somewhat odd bullets, and even more odd powders, I find it somewhat rare that I can plug in my data and have any useful info returned.

My version 3.8 doesn't have: 6mm Creedmoor or 25-45 Sharps, any IMR Enduron powders, or any Alliant PowerPro powders. It's also missing some bullets I use and certainly doesn't have any new bullets that have come out in the last year. I've tried (and failed) to find data files on these, and I don't have the raw data needed to create records for any of these.

My 308 loads exhibit very different velocities than what QuickLOAD tells me I should get.

I wouldn't say it's crap, I still believe it *should* work and be helpful, if you have the right data. Unfortunately for me, it's been a big waste of money.

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 06:34:41 PM »

M54

• Target Painter
  • FNG
I had imagined there were updates for new data!  Are there help files, instructions, or customer service?

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 06:56:22 PM »

BillJac

• Target Painter
  • FNG
3.9 is the current version.  It is the same as 3.8 with the exception of updated data.  You can order just the data update here...

http://www.neconos.com/item/QuickLOADQuickTARGET-DATA-UPDATE-for-V30-31-32-33-34-35-36-and-38-96

I am new to reloading and I find it very helpful to model potential component combinations for my loads.

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 04:07:35 PM »

joshua

• Target Painter
I use QuickLOAD and Analytics. 

I find each of them to be extremely helpful.  I'm not sure everyone needs these programs though.  For working up a load or two I don't think I would be able to justify it. 

I use them to help folks pick out a load or to help decide on barrel length, etc.  I also use them for comparison between calibers when someone is trying to decide.  QL is useful for me to see where I want to begin on a load. 

So far I've only run into major differences on a 7mm-08 AI from what QuickLOAD said.  QL was showing high pressure a lot faster than the gun/load was.  But, that was only one specific rifle. 

It's not perfect, but it gets me good information.  If you go through all of the settings like H20 capacity, length, bbl length, etc, it usually gets pretty close.  It's real helpful to me for picking a powder. 

Still have to work the load properly and use a good chrono. 

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 04:31:08 PM »

M54

• Target Painter
  • FNG
Thanks, I appreciate the replys.

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 09:56:02 PM »

kevwil

• Target Painter
  • poor bastard
3.9 is the current version.  It is the same as 3.8 with the exception of updated data.  You can order just the data update here...

http://www.neconos.com/item/QuickLOADQuickTARGET-DATA-UPDATE-for-V30-31-32-33-34-35-36-and-38-96

I am new to reloading and I find it very helpful to model potential component combinations for my loads.

Thanks for that. I was under the impression you had to purchase the full next version to get updates.

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 05:14:07 PM »

KevinSchwinkendorf

• Target Painter
  • FNG
Anyone have experience with Quickload software personally? I am wondering about your experience with it and what features you found useful, how accurate you have found the predictions, how extensive the library's are for powder and bullets. Good help files or instructions?
  I purchased QuickLOAD many years ago.  Since then, I have chronographed and predicted muzzle velocities for 30 specific handloads (including my data, my brother's data, and my father's data).  Doing a simple statistical analysis on the predicted vs. measured velocity data, I found a "root-mean-square" (or rms) error of 3.3%.  (I've meant to also do a chi-square analysis, but never got around to it yet.)  I also created a plot of measured vs. predicted velocities and found the 30 data points clustered around the line y=x very tightly.  I consider this (think of rms as an "average deviation" of predicted from measured values) to be extremely good.  However, the QuickLOAD documentation on their methods is almost non-existent, just that they employ "a thermodynamic model" to predict the combustion dynamics of the powder and couple this to bullet acceleration down the barrel.  Each powder in the library is characterized (or defined) by about a half dozen different thermodynamic parameters (including energy content in kJ/kg, ratio of specific heats, etc.), but there is no documentation on burn rate equations of state (EOS), numerical integration methods, or anything else.  I suppose the developers consider this to be proprietary information.  I once tried to find internal ballistics textbooks online, but found the "good ones" (e.g., "Theory of the Interior Ballistics of Guns," by J. Corner) to be out of print.  Still, with a 3.3% rms error on muzzle velocities, they have to be doing something right.  Like any other computer modeling of complex phenomena, you only get out of a model what you put into it, and there are so many real factors that affect internal ballistics performance, that I'm impressed that they did as well as they did.  Still, the reloader must always remember to approach maximum rated loads slowly and look for signs of excessive pressure.  Data in reloading manuals are based on real test data, so "real world" data trumps computer simulation every time.  I have found that QuickLOAD is conservative in its warnings.  I have one particular load for my .338 Win. mag. that I know is safe (72 gr of IMR-4831 behind a 250 gr Sierra boattail, which is a slightly compressed load), but QuickLOAD gives a stern warning that this load is unsafe due to excessive peak pressure (just over 70,000 psi).  According to the Sierra manual (3rd Ed.) this load is just under the max rated load, but in my Model 70, I've chronographed it and have found no problems.  I believe QuickLOAD is a very useful tool for making comparisons between different situations (comparing different barrel lengths for the same load, different bullet weights for the same powder charge, etc.).