You are Here:
Softshell and Hardshell Jackets

Author (Read 2041 times)

Softshell and Hardshell Jackets
« on: December 30, 2015, 09:42:07 PM »

Extortion

• Marksman
  • Garrett
After my experience at the '15 Hide Cup I've been looking for some better quality outerwear.  What are you all using?  I'd prefer to use American Made gear but it's not a requirement.  Arc'Teryx is a bit out of my price range haha.
It pays to be a winner.

Re: Softshell and Hardshell Jackets
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 08:57:12 PM »

ewheuser

• Global Moderator
  • Target Painter
  • 65shooter
    • Firearms Only
I have gear that I use for mountaineering. My recommendations would be Lowe Alpine, Mountain Hardware, or for something more reasonably priced check out the store brand for Moosejaw.

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 09:50:54 PM »

Alpine

• Target Painter
  • FNG
You can get military surplus GoreTex at very reasonable prices these days.  During the Cup, I used British Surplus GoreTex pants, and US Surplus GoreTex jacket, which kept me dry.  Both were purchased new/unissued for $50 each.

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 06:48:18 PM »

Tamarac

• Target Painter
  • FNG
When the weather is warmer and I want something light I wear a soft-shell from Outdoor Research.  When its colder and I want something heavy I wear newer mil surplus.

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 08:42:14 AM »

Krupto

• Target Painter
  • HCEN
Just like the mantra "buy once, cry once" that specifically applies to long guns, it goes for jackets as well. I've always worn Arc'Teryx or Triple Aught Design. Sure, it's expensive, but I've never had any issues with it whatsoever. And if price is a factor always check ebay for those things. Another company making some good stuff that's a decent price is Beyond Clothing.

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 11:00:09 PM »

R6thor

• Target Painter
  • smoky
A good friend sent me some massif mountin gear in multi cam love the heck out of it by far the most comfortable st u ff i heve ever owned warm and it breathes. It was nice enough i had to get more for my wife off ebay.  It is crazy expensive to buy new jacket and pants your looking at close to $1100  on ebay 250 for a set. It is not super abrasive resistant  so take it easy on it. I would also recoment the usmc Frog( fire resistant organization gear) by far them most popular stuff i have gotten my unit (ANG) it runs a bit big. There is a silk weight and a grid fleece get both if you can. Ebay is the way b to go for both the massif long johns are gret too. And camelbak flight glove work well. The added bonus is every thing is fire resistant. You just never know lol
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 11:03:43 PM by R6thor »

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 05:50:33 PM »

wjm1776

• Target Painter
  • FNG
If you have an Arcteryx outlet in your area I'd look there. I call from time to time and they tell me what sizes and items from their LEAF they have. Great prices... The other way to go would be to keep an eye on EBay for ECWS items. I've gotten a couple Level 5 items that have been great and are in better shape then the stuff I turned back in when I got out!
"Miss, Re-Engage!"

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 08:25:42 AM »

DarksideSix

• Target Painter
  • FNG
This is gonna sound funny but I've been wearing the soft shell that Condor makes for a few years now and it has served me well.  Keeps me warm and dry and hasn't torn.  I've been pretty rugged on it and it has still held up nicely.  For the price I paid for it I can't complain.

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 05:44:49 PM »

Extortion

• Marksman
  • Garrett
I ended up going with some Arc'Teryx and North Face gear.  I also have a Condor soft shell that I'll use to supplement if need be.
It pays to be a winner.