You are Here:
No close Precision Rifle clubs

Author (Read 968 times)

No close Precision Rifle clubs
« on: April 18, 2016, 10:01:17 AM »

MuzzleBlast

• Target Painter
  • FNG
I live in the Hot Springs, AR area.  I am about equidistant from precision rifle clubs in Tennessee, Texas and Missouri, all about five to six hours drive.  The longest range I have available to me is 600yds, at the Benton Gun Club, where they shoot F-Class and metallic silhouettes.  Does anyone have any real suggestions about how I could prepare for a long range match without access to a long range?

Re: No close Precision Rifle clubs
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 05:29:36 PM »

cjwise5

• Target Painter
Obviously it's nice to be able to shoot out to 1200 yards occasionally, but I don't really think you need that in order to adequately prepare.  A lot of guys shoot a smaller caliber trainer rifle like a .223 bolt action or even rimfire magnums at closer distances.  For example I got about an hour of solid positional training in today with my .17hmr bolt action at just 100 yards.  You can create match stages for yourself and work off of a timer.  Typical stage times vary, but a good general format would be 2-3 different positions, firing 2-3 shots at each target, in under 2 minutes.  Just my initial thoughts.

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 02:18:18 PM »

MuzzleBlast

• Target Painter
  • FNG
Cool CJ.  Thanks for that.

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 10:24:31 AM »

XC700116

• Target Painter
  • FNG
The majority of my practice is done at shorter ranges via positional training on smaller targets and dry fire practice. I only really stretch the distance when I'm trying my dope.

I also do a lot of shooting with smaller cartridges, 223 and 22lr. Stretch a 22 out to 200 yards and you'll give yourself a ton of wind call training.