You are Here:
6.5 Grendel Build **Update** Build Complete w/ Pics

Author (Read 3023 times)

6.5 Grendel Build **Update** Build Complete w/ Pics
« on: December 31, 2015, 10:23:08 AM »

Tamarac

• Target Painter
  • FNG
I'll update this thread occasionally as my build goes on.

Long story short is that I'm a young father with kids, a mortgage, and a decent paying job.  I have two kids currently and a third on its way.  I am a casual shooter in that I'll shoot a local IDPA match once a year and shoot milk jugs at 500 yards once or twice a year with friends.  All my other rifle shooting is limited to 100 or 200 yard bench stuff.  I've never shot PRS, but I love the idea of it.  I've built a few sporterized Mauser actions with my dad years ago so I know the value of what people are paying gunsmiths to do, but that's out of the question due to my family situation.  Family comes first, hobbies next.  So for me its the AR platform since I can do most of the work myself and parts are easily obtainable over the counter.  And since I already have an AR15 set up with a Magpul PRS, Timney 3# trigger and Vortex PST this was where I would start. 

The caliber I settled on was the 6.5 Grendel.  I kind of feel like I settled with the Grendel.  I know a lot can be done with wildcatting the AR15.  I've seen things like the .22 Hellcat, the 7mm Valkrye, necked down 6mm Grendels, etc, but my .22-250AI is enough work with fire-forming and annealing brass that I didn't want to add work and time when I don't have any free time to begin with.  I also know I could have just as easily built an AR10 in 260 or 6.5 Creed, but it was easier to justify the AR15 since all I would need is a new upper, and since all my shooting is generally 100-300 yard stuff I don't need the added abilities of 260 or 6.5 Creed.  Review's for the Grendel make it out to perform well at 600-800 with longer shots possible given good wind conditions, so it'll work fine for what I'm looking to do with it. 

I've got a 24" cut rifled HBAR barrel on order from Satern Machining that I'll hopefully see this spring. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 08:55:51 PM by Tamarac »

Re: 6.5 Grendel Build
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 06:13:04 AM »

Minnesotamulisha

• Target Painter
Nice looking rig!

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 06:28:54 PM »

jlemmy

• Global Moderator
  • Target Painter
  • FNG
 Did a 6.5 Grendel myself not all that long ago. Shoots very well and is the ideal AR when I'm not making the trek to a "long" range.

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 10:39:18 PM »

Astroman1

• Target Painter
  • FNG
While it may not be as competitive at long range (1000+) the Grendel will get it done where it counts for most PRS scenarios. I run mine out to 1K but with the 123 scenars you don't see much splash past 800 so corrections are difficult. My suggestion is run Hornady brass if you shoot matches, you will lose a lot of it and you won't be that guy (me) digging for your meticulously preped lapua brass after every stage.  Enjoy and good luck.

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 05:23:42 PM »

Tamarac

• Target Painter
  • FNG
Thanks Astroman1.  Yes, I already planned on running Hornady brass for competitions.  With as much as Lapua costs, I have no plans on losing a single piece.  I'd even consider being 'that guy' running a brass catcher just to not loose any more.

Build Update:  Barrel is currently at fluting and should be back to Satern in a week or two.

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 11:34:09 AM »

cjwise5

• Target Painter
I have an alexander arms 6.5 grendel upper that I put on a Spike's lower with a Timney trigger.  I've been using the Hornady 123g match ammo and it always shoots 1/2 minute if I do my part.  I am loving it! I have shot rocks out at a thousand with it out in Colorado. I guess I'm saying I agree with your choice of caliber.  I don't think you can go wrong with the grendel out of a gas gun for an excellent starter rifle.

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 07:11:42 PM »

Tamarac

• Target Painter
  • FNG
No updates from Satern lately.  I wish I had more to add.  The next time Midway USA or Brownells offers a sale I'll begin to piece together everything else for my build. 

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2016, 06:23:20 PM »

Tamarac

• Target Painter
  • FNG
Update: 4/16/2016

I shot my first PRS match last weekend with a 5.56.  I was using 77 SMK at 2730 fps.  I will say that the 5.56 isn't the best gun for any PRS, but I think my score was directly related to my inexperience.  I was more concerned about completing the course of fire than I was at taking the easier points at 330 and 480 yards.  I connected on 3 out of 8 targets at 780 yards too!  BUT.....having said that I had a blast!!

Grendel Build Update:
My 17.5" handguard from JP enterprises came in, along with a new padded Vickers Sling.  I ordered a .750" gas block from Syrac Ordinance as well.  Thats going back as I have decided to part way from Satern after having been on their waiting list for 1.5 years.  I'm sure there barrels are great, but that kind of wait time is ridiculous.  I almost could have held out, but I personally think that they're customer service is horrible. 

Anyway, I was put in contact with a semi local gunsmith who made a name for himself wildcatting the 6.5 Grendel.  He is taking the 6.5, necking it down to 6mm and bumping the shoulder forward slightly.  He calls it a 6mm Fat Rat and claims 2700-2800fps with a 107 SMK.  Its a pretty impressive cartridge for the AR15 plastform if you don't mind wildcatting.  I own a few Ackley Improved rifles and I don't have the time anymore.  My intention with this rifle was something I could buy ammo off the shelf, shoot accurately and farther distances than the 5.56/223 and buy off the shelf ammunition with readily available rifle parts.  So Lee Wells is building me a 24", 1-8.5" twist Krieger.  Its going to be significantly heavier than what I had intended to order from Satern.  It'll be .936 at the gas block and .820 at the muzzle.  I'm not hunting with the gun, so I'm not too concerned about weight.  One really cool added benefit of going with Lee is that he's already quoted me a 8-10 week lead time on my barrel.  So I should be building and shooting my rifle around the 4th of July.  I'll keep updating this thread as thing progress.

Re: 6.5 Grendel Build. Build Complete Pics Posted.
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 08:55:20 PM »

Tamarac

• Target Painter
  • FNG
All done!!  It only took a year of research into exactly what I wanted, and then another 6 months to build.  I'm really excited to get the barrel broke in and some hand-loads worked up.

Re: 6.5 Grendel Build **Update** Build Complete w/ Pics
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2016, 12:03:41 AM »

DenverDave

• Target Painter
  • FNG
I shot my Grendel for the fist time in a long while yesterday.  She has been neglected badly since I got my Creedmoor bolt gun and took my XTR II off of her and onto my Creedmoor. So yesterday I decided to give my Grendel some love. Threw an old Bushy ET 5-15x on her, a few boxes of 123gr A-Max factory ammo and headed out to the range. This gun is a great shooter. I have managed .25moa groups with her on many occasions. Yesterday I did not spend much time shooting groups as I had to zero. With that done I hit the long range. First round Impact out to 700 yards, including a 6"x6" triangle. Was really happy with how she shot.  Build highlights include 20" BHW .264 barrel. PF brake, ALG handguard, PRS stock and SSA-E trigger. Great rifle.