You are Here:
OPPS February 2016 Club Match - Tanner Rollins earns win #2 for 2016!

Author (Read 1993 times)

MONEY

• Target Painter
  • FNG
OPPS February 2016 Club Match AAR (After Action Ramble)

If you skipped the February match out in BFE+ down SW of Altus, OK you missed out on one of the best setups and spreads I've seen.  We were positioned on a large mesa with firing angles from NNE to SW. Combine that with the 5-23+ MPH winds and the geography, the wind was not exactly an easy read. Even reading downrange mirage vs bullet splash would leave you wondering WTH.

Anyhow, we had a 100 yd zero range which was a plus for guys running Barskas and stuff : P . I busted off one shot and it was just a frog hair or two high of POA so I was quite happy starting out, especially since I've only shot the new Surgeon/J Allen rig 2 days during load development on my new 6x47L, which drives like a dream and feels like a pop gun. The Rock Creek MTU barrel John Beanland chambered me is shooting really tight with solid load stats. It' still breaking in but next week the velocity should stabilize for the next few months.  My new J Allen stock came in a few weeks ago and I could not be happier with everything about it. The color is perfect for Okie red dirt and if you have not shot one, they just feel perfect iMO. Prone, Positional, Barricade work, they are just solid. A pic of my new rig is at the very bottom if you want to check it out.

The OPPS members milled around while new applicants were down to the SW running a train-up with seasoned vets.  If anyone wants to comment on the train-up please do so, as it was out of eyeshot for those like me hanging out by the free bucket of cookies.

It was about time to start and split up into squads so my Shoot Zero teammate Michael Thomas busted out the trophies he had made for this match hosted by another Team Shoot Zero member Boone Miller.  I thought they turned out great and give a nice incentive to stay focused and take home a nice memento.  These OK state level club matches aren't easy and taking home a win is no small feat. Not to mention two in a row, but I'll get to that later in my ramble.

Our Secretary got up and explained the rules and format for the new guys and we split up into 8 or 9 squads.  I ended up in a small squad and was happy with that since I would get less distracted. On the other hand there would be less downrange splashes to read while spotting and more times I'd have to go first and see what the wind was doing on my own. Still, since I'm easily distractable I lucked out in my opinion as I knew we wouldn't be rushed.

It seems all the vets got split up and mixed in with the newer guys which is great. It's just my 2 cents but I think picking squad captains and doing a true random squads is the best way to meet new folks, learn, and bring others up to speed.

Stage 1 was a TYL (Test Your Limits) at 451 yds
- no points were lost or forfeited for missing a target and you did not have to start over if you missed a target. With the wind as strong and variable as it was and at a full value of 18-22 mph the squads I saw shooting it had a tough time including mine. The wind let up from 11 AM -12:30 and hung around 10-15 mph but the way the course was setup it was not too unfortunate for someone to start at any certain stage like it can on COF with rifles in shielded pistols bays or sections of forest cut down like some places.  I eeked out 3.5 points on my first three shots but could not hit the last two smaller targets. Check out the Match Book (I'll attach soon when I get a copy or pic sent my way) to see how the targets are scored in increasing difficulty. Making headway here could have really helped a guy against the field that ended up stacked full around 45 total points.

Stage 2 was the PRS Skills barricade at 400 yds
- The wind was tough and I knew I wasn't getting in any hurry to win a tiebreaker off the PRS barricade around 400 yds so I took my time, and a lot of it ;D. Although I usually finish stages too fast, on this particular stage I know I was the slowest in January and most likely the slowest again here in Feb and I don't give a hoot. I'm not going to sacrifice one clean shot and point over a race on the clock. You take 2 shots from each of four positions and your time serves for match tiebreakers which seems to be a great system and an easy stage to setup.  I've lost my matchbook since yesterday but I did well on this stage compared to the squad ahead and behind me and honestly I was happy with my performance since the wind was getting fierce.

Stage 3 was the "Red Troops" stage ranging from 720 yards to 1304 yards with targets panning from nearly 90 degree wind values to near tailwinds.  I shot pretty good on this setup but the 17-22 mph wind just ate my lunch on the long shots. Was not happy with my score and kind of missed my 260 AI on this one.  :(

Stage 4 was the Chaos stage with targets at 297 yds, 412 yds, & 463 yds with a time limit of only 30 seconds. You shoot the closest target, middle target, farthest and then shoot back in. It seems pretty easy but these stages get complex in severe winds and especially if you have any feeding issues. Also if you are shooting a beast like a 260 AI, 6.5 SAUM, 243 or anything at speed limits you can actually have to wait on swinging gongs. With my 260 AI I know I've waited 5-7+ seconds on targets like this at close ranges and sometimes you get antsy on the clock and burn one off hoping you have the right rhythm. Shooting my little 6x the gongs were pretty quiet when I returned back to them which was nice.

Stage 5 was "Critters" which we shot out of one of those Texas style elevated hunting wagons
. This one had plenty of surface area on the rails to get really stable on and the coyote gongs were all generous sizes. I have a mental block shooting prairie dog poppers but smacked the first target at 163 yds 2/2.  I went on to hit the rest of the coyote targets (Just my version of events lol) ranging from 460 to 657 yds but when the dust cleared and I was getting down from the tower the spotter said I shot 7. I thought he was just messing with me after a clean run. I was surprised but shit happens and after a few seconds I didn't want to be or look like one of those guys that bullies ROs and spotters into points.  You win some and you lose some and I knew shooting a 6mm would gain me points off barricades and rooftops with the reduced recoil and follow up shot quality but cost me points other places, on big heavy steel that has been hit a lot, and on longer shots past 1100 since there is little energy to rock the gongs. My 260 AI would rock some steel and there was rarely a question if you hit something even out to 1300+. Hell, I've been wrong like twice in my life so maybe I did just shoot 7  :-[ no biggie.  This was a fun stage and the huage coyotes were a relief to see on such a windy day. With the positioning of the stage on the corner of the mesa I was wondering how much the backside of the butte cut the wind down. Thankfully the width of the yotes gave a clear indicator of what people had shot left to right compared to their plan which should have been center or the biggest portion of the yote of course.  Sometimes rolling into a stage with big targets or certain terrain showing ditches of misses allows you to read what the first and second squads had to figure out on their own.

Ronnie Redds J Allen stock cerakoted by Derek Heleschmidt of Go Loud Kustoms

Stage 6 was a pistol stage combined with a Spinner target at 268 yards. There were 5 pistol targets that you peeled off two rounds at each.  Boone Miller made short work of the first mini ipsc target pop-pop and worked over the rest of the four targets like a pro. I did not.  I only got 4 hits out of 10 on the pistol and went on to the spinner and went 5/5. Losing 2-3 full points on easy pistol stuff was one of my big blunders for the day. I took my time on the pistol instead of shooting fast like I usually do but even after botching that I knew I could at least get the 5 on the spinner.  In the last few months I've gotten a lot more resilient mentally in not letting a few blown points ruin the rest of my shooting. I used to do that when I'd tank a stage and let me tell you, you'll enjoy the match and ride home a lot more if you don't beat up yourself.  Shoot the match, practice what you FUBAR, and give it another run next month.

Tanner running his race gun  :D

Stage 7 was those abominations they call "Tank Barricades" with a good size gong hung around 410 yds but we started weak side prone taking two shots on the ground and then advanced to two shots per tank barricade shooting strong side. CL Turner brought out the first tank barricades that I shot off and I've been cussing him since.  They generally are made of three planks screwed or tied together and the challenge comes in the orientation of the crossing beams related to your arms, bolt throws, etc.  It's obvious but I need to look at each one of the 3-4 barricades individually instead of as a group and ID the specific rotational orientation and the points of contact that are helpful and those that are troublesome.  This is a stage where monkey-see monkey do/don't is probably real important for me.  I only shot 6/10 on this and was pretty disappointed I could not build better positions. This was the first time I had the 1-1.5 MOA "death-spiral" hold all day on any shot and even though I shuffled and tried to settle the hold I just couldn't get it done.  Although I flopped, I got to watch Shireman coach a new shooter through it with his very nice J Allen rig. Shireman got the new member up and running and shot at least 8/10 if not better.  This is why we have the club and some guys are better coaches than others. Rick Reeves, Shireman, Jim See, and the others all have unique coaching styles but their advice is invaluable, especially for new guys that may not have had time to practice bad habits.

Paul shooting the tank barricades with a Tubb Reticle

Derek running a Sleeper forend bag

Stage 8 was the rooftop at 410 yds. It was pretty steep but shingled. Also it was not covered in baby oil and drilling beads like Tate's which helps. While every rooftop is unique the 10x11x12" BIG bag I make fit this thing wonderfully. We took three shots with feet on the ground strongside, moved to both feet on rooftop strongside, and 3 weakside with both feet on the ground.  This is a stage where Rick Reeves can teach you a few tricks for more points.  His strategies seem to work better for the bigger/taller guys and more flexible but I try to incorporate them if I can.  Also, if you have a beer gut this is the perfect time to use it. Don't stand with one or two points of contact, hook that beer belly on the roof and get some square footage laid down! Also, position your rifle so that you don't have to move it much if at all from positions one or two. This will recover some time for you to focus on making clean shots, reading/confirming wind/mirage, etc.

Burt going Lefty-Righty
Jared getting in the middle position
Another pic of a Sleeper getting a bite on a rooftop.

Stage 9 was the White Troops line that reached from 381 to 1180 yds and probably had a 40-ish degree target pan since target four was far far off to the right. I think this and the Critters were a guy's chance to really make up some points especially later in the day once you got used to the wind or caught it in the hour where the wind laid up for a bit. Boone Miller let it rip and made this one look easy whacking each target rapidly with almost two minutes left on the clock. Both of his bullets on the 1300 yd target were about 1-2" apart.  8)

I'd never seen the place before but after shooting it I began to see how Boone laid it out for a guy to gain confidence and left two chances for a guy to get back on his feet if he was down or if the wind was crazy like it was all day. The target sizes were just about right to make it not too hard and not too easy, but the variable 10-23+ mph winds made some stages extra challenging. What I mean to say is that it was a well thought out course for a state level match and it shows the skill and understanding of these competitions Boone has. I'm proud to have him as a teammate as he is very well rounded and humble.  The match flowed very well, had the best matchbook of any I've seen, and even had satellite imagery to help guys out.  Basically he combined a lot of the things we always talk about getting done but he actually went through with it.

Heading back to the prize table I stole a Texas Amber off CL, literally, and a few of us played with Jacq's new pup Tau who was pretty worn out and some LRFs waiting on the final squads to roll in.  We had a Bushnell LRF, Bushnell Bino, Leica 1600B, and the new Sig Kilo. We basically tested them on a reflective at ~1760. It was a metal tank which seems like a great reflective to try but radiused surfaces can sometimes be challenging for LRFs - you just have to find the right spot that will get you a return if the LRF is underpowered.  I find that certain shapes on different types of trees  or rocks can often be lazed more regularly than these poles or cylinders but I can save all that for another rant. In essence the Leica 1600B and SIG Kilo were the only two that could get the tank, with the SIG doing it faster. The SIG is well worth the money if you are looking but the reticle is huge and I need to play with it for a few hours to really tell what the beam divergence is doing so I can know where to place limitations on the unit so I would know how to not misrange things in challenging situations. Great product and great price.

The powers that be got to adding up scores and we ended up with some of the usual suspects.  Rick Reeves and Logan Schamburg tied for 5th place which was broken by the PRS barricade time giving Rick the win and Logan the "Hard Luck" trophy. CL Turner finished 4th after a great 2nd place finish in the TXPRC the day before which has members holding 2 of the top 3 PRS spots currently. Matt Clem earned 3rd place and Ryan Thomsen somehow managed 2nd place against all odds. Tanner Rollins shot another 2016 OPPS top score earning his second 1st place OPPS finish in a row!  If you don't know this guy he is a humble gentleman and makes this long range shooting stuff look real easy. He is a true asset to the OPPS and TXPRC clubs and you cannot find a better guy to be a representative for our sport.

Tanner Rollins 1st Place
Some of the usual suspects

I may not be able to make the March match due to work but it will be a hell of a good time. Clem's range is top-tier and it won't be 300F like it usually is during the Heat Stroke that is held out there.  If you happen to come across these match reviews and want to check out what we do, get in contact with one of our OPPS members. You can even come out to help or just spectate. There is a lot to learn but we have plenty of guys willing to get you up and running. Plus, what else are you going to waste all your extra $$$ on?

If you haven't liked my Teams facebook page search for "Precision Rifle Series - Team Shoot Zero" on facebook or click this link to get there https://www.facebook.com/PRSTeamSHOOTZERO/?fref=ts

We do group buys, discounts extended from our great sponsors, and plan to do a few give-away drawings soon.

Well that's all for now. Once I get a few more pics sent my way and the copy of the matchbook I'll correct the rough ranges and you'll be able to better visualize the spread from the satellite imagery. Thanks to Jacq for bringing out Tau, a bucket of cookies, and taking all the great pics! We really appreciate all the help! Thanks to Risinger and the others that helped setup the place. Special thanks to the landowner for allowing us access to such a great venue. I believe I speak for my whole team when I say thanks to our great sponsors like ESP, Rock Creek Barrels, J Allen Enterprises, Jim See of Blast Tamer Muzzle Brakes, and all the other folks who help us out.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 04:20:38 AM by MONEY »
Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do. - Voltaire

Re: OPPS February 2016 Club Match - Tanner Rollins earns win #2 for 2016!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 09:00:45 AM »

OKJK11

• Target Painter
  • FNG
Great write up Money, I was one of those new guys out there Sunday. I had a blast and really appreciate all the help and effort everyone put in. Great group of guys.

Re: OPPS February 2016 Club Match - Tanner Rollins earns win #2 for 2016!
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 11:44:52 PM »

HandyJ

• Target Painter
  • FNG
Nice write up!!  Tanner is off to a great start this year!